5 Suggestions to Help Survive Dorm Life
Updated: Nov 30, 2020
1. Remember your mask. Masks are a requirement in many places, including the dorms. However, we are all only human, and we forget things time to time. A great way to remember your mask is to put it on your door handle, as it reminds you to not leave your room without your mask. It also helps if you keep an extra mask in your car or pocket just in case you forget. It is important to have a mask during this pandemic to help keep everyone safe.
2. Keep your room clean. Having a clean environment keeps you and your roommate productive. Cleaning up your trash, sweeping, vacuuming, and even doing the dishes are very important as you don’t want to attract bugs or have mold growth on your dishes.
3. Create a weekly budget. It is normal to forget how much we are spending, especially for first year students, so create a limit. First year college students feel a new sense of freedom from being away from their parents, and as a result, many new college students are wasting a lot of money by going out and buying food or items they don’t necessarily need. By creating a budget, it makes you less likely to buy unnecessary things and focus on the essentials needed for college life.
4. Make sure to have a balanced diet. Keeping yourself healthy is extremely important. Being healthy helps you fight sickness and helps you to give your best performance. Do not eat Ramen every day. Make sure you have all the food groups. Eating a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy, and meat is extremely important. It is hard to live on a budget as a college student, but it is important to look for sales on food at your local grocery store to find good food for reasonable prices. It is also good to use reliable resources on the internet for advice on having a healthy diet.
5. Get involved. College is a great place to meet new people and make new friends. Don’t be afraid to take the first step in talking to someone or getting involved with a club. Remember, some of the people you meet could even become your lifelong friends.